El Nido Community Profile - PMZ Real Estate

About El Nido

El Nido is a census-designated place of 330 located 15 miles west-southwest of Le Grand.

El Nido was founded early in the 20th century when the development of irrigation enabled intensified farming of the area. El Nido is Spanish for "the nest" and the name is associated with the early Spanish land grant, Rancho Chowchilla. The El Nido School District was created in 1914 and a school building designed by William Bedesen was built in 1915. The El Nido Irrigation District was organized in 1928 and began supplying water for irrigation in 1932. Cotton was the principal crop in the area and a large gin was built there in 1937. The

town has a post office, a tavern, a general store, a volunteer fire department, and an elementary school. After grade 8, students from El Nido must attend high school in Merced, California.